In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs

I have never thought of deviled eggs as sexy. A little more girl next door. It turns out that when you dress them up, they are hot. Isn't that how it always turns out in the movies, dress up the girl next door and she becomes a total babe? Well, these deviled eggs are the girl next door all dressed up for a night in New York City. I thought that adding smoked salmon would make them more Alaskan, but was I ever wrong. These girls were ready for a night on the town. I had so much fun with them that I made them twice this week. The first time I didn't get a chance to photograph them, which was probably for the better as I had originally placed the caper and red onion garnish on top of the eggs which made them look like they had little eyeballs staring up at you. Also, the garnish had a tendency to fall off. This time I placed the onions and capers in the egg cavity before piping in the yolk mixture. Either way, they taste amazing.
I wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year before the clock strikes midnight on the East Coast. We still have a few hours before we even head over to the neighbors house to celebrate. Our eggs will definitely be more dressed up than we are, but that is the way things are here in Fairbanks. Wishing you all a safe an Happy New Year's Eve wherever you are!

Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
adapted from The Galley Gourmet

7 large eggs, boiled and peeled
1/4 cup crème fraîche
1 ounce cream cheese, at room temperature
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tablespoons minced fresh chives
4 ounces smoked salmon, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Capers
Minced Red Onion

Slice eggs in half lengthwise. Pop out the yolks and place them in a medium bowl with the crème fraîche, cream cheese, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, and lemon juice. Mash with a fork or potato masher, then stir with a rubber spatula until smooth. Fold in the salmon and chopped chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place egg whites on a plate or serving platter and add 2-3 capers and 1/8 teaspoon minced red onion to each cavity.
Using a spoon or a a piping bag, fill the whites generously with the yolk mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.

4 comments:

  1. I have eaten deviled eggs all my life, but have never seen any as pretty as yours. Smoked salmon as an add-in is a great idea! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about your match made in heaven. I have a fresh dozen eggs, some smoked salmon in the freezer and a hankering to make these. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your presentation is outstanding!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, my mouth is watering (really)!I made this recipe and it was so good I tough it was impossible to eat something better. Then I saw you made it double! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails