In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting

Today I am headed to a place that I still on occasion call "home". Yes, my cute little cabin in Fairbanks with Brody, Arrluk, and David is definitely more home than the place where I grew up. It is hard not to slip and say, "I am going home". Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula holds a very special place in my heart. Not only is it the place where I grew up, but I still truly believe it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.
It has been 2 1/2 years since I have visited "The Keweenaw" and six since I last lived there. Time flies by so quickly and although time moves so slowly when you are there it seems to move quickly once you move away. Since I was last "home" there have been marriages, divorces, births, and deaths. This Banana Cake recipe is from my friend Miranda who has both been married and had a baby since I was living there. I was living in Denali National Park when I originally requested the recipe and she kindly shared so our baker at the lodge could make it for my birthday. Miranda makes it with Cream Cheese frosting, but I have found over the years that I also enjoy it with Peanut Butter frosting, so I am providing Miranda's recipe for frosting, but you can also find the peanut butter frosting here.  They are both delicious and it really is just a matter of taste which you prefer.
I hope to share some of the highlights of the Keweenaw with you in the next week or so. I hope to find some pasties and thimbleberry jam. Never heard of them? Stay tuned...



FROSTED BANANA CAKE
 adapted slightly from Miranda

1/2 Cup butter or margarine softened
1-1/2 Cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 medium ripe bananas mashed (about 1 cup)
 
Frosting:
1 package cream cheese, softened
1/2 Cup butter or margarine, softened
2 tsps. vanilla
3-3/4 to 4 cups confectioner's sugar

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in bananas. Spread into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Bake at 350 deg. for 30-35 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool. For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Gradually beat in enough sugar to achieve desired consistency. Frost Cake. Store in refrigerator, covered. Keeps for several days

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails