In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Banana Macademia Nut Pancakes

When I was in my early twenties I went through a phase where I wanted to travel the world (ok, I'm still in that phase). I would decide on a place I wanted to go and buy every guide book and search every internet site and plan my whole trip. I would make itineraries, list restaurants I wanted to eat at, and museums to visit. Because I was young and poor (yes, still poor), and spent all my money on travel books I never really was able to go anywhere. With such detailed research I felt like I had already been there, a sort of virtual trip. We only children have very vivid imaginations. When I finally did get around to traveling I discovered I actually did not enjoy having everything so planned out and being restricted to what I found in guidebooks. Plus, it leaves more money for the actual traveling part.
Of all those places I virtually traveled, the one trip that stands out the most is Hawaii. In addition to that beautiful kayak trip along the Napali Coast, I remember reading about a restaurant that served Macadamia Nut pancakes. I never forgot about them, of all the virtual restaurants I have eaten at, that place with the Macadamia Nut Pancakes was the best. Of course I don't remember the name of the place, but I am sure that Macadamia Nut Pancakes wouldn't be too hard to find in Hawaii. These days I take my virtual travels through cooking. Since finding this recipe I don't need to go to Hawaii (yeah right), I can make them in my own kitchen. When you make these, put on your flip flops and just see how hard it is not to hum a little of the Jack Johnson Banana Pancakes song. Enjoy your virtual trip to Hawaii.


Banana Macademia Nut Pancakes
adapted from Baking Bites

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup milk
1 large egg
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1/4 cup mashed banana
1/4 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts , toasted

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
In a medium bowl, whisk milk, egg, butter and almond extract until well blended. Stir in coconut and banana. Add flour mixture and stir until ingredients just come together, do not over mix as your pancakes will not be as fluffy. Add the macadamia nuts and stir to incorporate.
Heat a lightly greased griddle, over medium-low heat. Spoon batter in approximately 2 tablespoons sized portions and grill 3-5 minutes, until bubbles appear on surface, flip to brown the other side. Continue until all batter is used, you can keep the cooked ones in an oven proof pie plate at 200 degrees to keep warm. Serve with butter and maple syrup.

2 comments:

  1. God, those sound good. I make banana pancakes all the time, sometimes with pecans, but never with macadamias. MUST. TRY. SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  2. napili shores - the gazebo, with the longggg wait. we stayed next door at napili sunset and my kids would walk to the gazebo, get the pancakes to go (with pineapple syrup - remember?) and we would have our coffee and pancakes on the water's edge and all was right with the world. BEST pancakes ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails