In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Monday, December 28, 2009

Peppermint Ice Cream

All this time off from work has given me a lot more time to linger in the kitchen. It also allows me to take photos during those precious three hours of sunlight we now have (the days are getting longer).
I have always loved peppermint ice cream. I distinctly remember being in an ice cream shop when I was a kid and being thrilled to find peppermint ice cream in July. I always favored the ones that had bits of green candies too. I also remember once being seduced by the same pink color in bubble gum ice cream, when peppermint wasn't available. Even as a kid a remember thinking that it just didn't work. How was I supposed to chew and obscene amount of gum and eat ice cream at the same time? There is something about those partially melted bits of peppermint candy that I just can't resist. I am not normally a peppermint fan, so that says something. I don't even use peppermint toothpaste!
I found this recipe last summer when I was busy whipping up seasonal specialties like Blueberry Lavender and Cranberry Sorbet. I knew I would have to make this one once Christmas rolled around. I crushed my candy canes in a food processor to the point that some of them turned to powder, this also turned the ice cream a lovely shade of pink.
Peppermint Ice Cream from Simply Recipes

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm..this looks so lovely, what a great shade for an ice cream. Guess who got the ice cream attachment for her mixer this Christmas?! Alas I wasn't able to get candy canes anywhere this year. I tried for my peppermint bark and they alluded me. Will normal mints work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do believe the regular round peppermints will work just fine. They give them out free at restaurants here in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails