In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Falafel

I think with the return of the sunshine and slightly warmer temperature my body has been fooled into thinking it is May. I had a serious craving for Farmer's Market Falafel. There is not much I can do about it since opening day of the market is still another two months away. Ugh! In the meantime I decided to make my own at home. I had thought I was going to try and make pita bread as well and lost my motivation at the last minute and just went the store bought route. These were some huge falafel, almost like veggie patties. I did find the mixture to be extremely wet and added about a 1/4 cup of chickpea flour at the end. These were just as good as the Farmer's Market, if only I had all the pickles and yummy toppings to go with them. I'm counting the days...

Falafel
from Vegetarian Times
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 Tbs. tahini
1 large egg
2 Tbs. grated lemon zest
1½ tsp. ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. salt (or to taste)
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. finely chopped onion
2 Tbs. chopped parsley
½ tsp. baking powder
Olive oil, for frying

Yogurt Sauce
2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
3 Tbs. chopped cilantro
2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. grated lemon zest
1 Tbs. ground cumin
Directions

1. To make Falafel: Pulse chickpeas, tahini, egg, lemon zest, cumin, garlic, lemon juice, coriander, chili powder, and salt in blender or food processor until mostly smooth, but still chunky. Transfer to bowl, and stir in flour, onion, parsley, and baking powder.
2. Shape 1/4 cup chickpea mixture into 1-inch-thick patty, and place on platter. Repeat with remaining chickpea mixture. (Falafel patties can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight.)
3. Pour enough olive oil into large skillet to have 1/4 inch in bottom. Heat over medium-high heat. Place patties in pan, making sure patties don’t touch. Cook 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to paper-towel-lined platter to drain. Repeat with remaining patties.
4. To make Yogurt Sauce: Combine all ingredients in serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with warm Falafel.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a loser: I make falafels from a box mix but I hope your recipe will inspire me to make a scratch batch.

    I made homemade pita bread last weekend, from "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day." I'm not entirely happy with the book--there's not much satisfaction in such a quick method... but I absolutely giggled at how well the pitas turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole- I've never tried making my own falafel before- it's one of those things that comes across as being a bit intimidating.

    The funny thing is, falafal has been on my mind since our stay in Salzburg- the entire hotel smelled just like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails