In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Monday, September 22, 2008

Creme Brulee


Creme Brulee is one of my favorite desserts of all time. The best part is that it is the easiest thing to make. I have been using this recipe for years and it always turns out perfectly. I don't know where it originally came from as it is just written on a sheet of paper amongst the stack of many sheets of paper with recipes in my kitchen. I always make at least 1 1/2 times what the recipe calls for, sometimes I double it. I prefer the 6 ounce ramekins, and this only yields 4 servings if I push it with the standard recipe. I used fresh local eggs, so they are exceptionally yellow. Also, I have never used a commercial torch. I find the broiler works just fine, especially if you like the top exceptionally dark as I do.

Ingredients:
8 egg yolks

1/3 cup granulated white sugar

2 cups heavy cream

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/4 cup granulated white sugar for carmelizing

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is thick and pale yellow. Add cream and vanilla and continue to whisk until well blended. Strain into a large bowl, skimming off any foam or bubbles. Divide mixture among 6 ramekins or custard cups. Put the ramekins in a pan and put on the center rack of the oven, then carefully fill the pan with warm water until the level reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Close the door and begin timing. Bake until set around the edge but still loose in the center, about 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave in the water bath until cooled. Remove cups from water bath and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. When ready to serve, sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of sugar over each custard. Carmelize the sugar with a small hand-held torch or place the ramekins under the broiler until the sugar melts. Rechill custards for a few minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, Creme Brulee. I've not tried making it yet, maybe it's time?

    I'm sure you've heard but your artwork is lovely!

    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails