In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cream of Celeriac and Leek Soup


Tonight was my time to catch up on odds and ends. I wanted to do something with the two cups of Cloudberries I picked before the rain came this summer. I am making a few small (I mean really small) batches of jelly. I'm hoping to save the Highbush Cranberries that I picked tonight and add some more tomorrow night to make a "real" batch of jam. In the meantime, I still have to eat. Tonight I made the Cream of Celeriac and Leek Soup from the Calypso Farm Note. I added a few more potatoes to the recipe, but that is all I really changed. I was worried it wouldn't have much flavor without the addition of any spices beside salt and pepper. The flavor was great, but I wouldn't recommend it for dinner as it is really light. It would make a very nice first course to a fall meal.

Cream of Celeriac and Leek Soup
originally from The Victory Garden Cookbook
3 leeks
1 1/2 pound whole celeriac
1 large potato
3 tablespoons butter
4-5 cups vegetable broth
1 cup light cream (I used about 1/4 cup)
Salt and pepper

Wash and slice leeks, approximately 2 cups. Peel and chop celeriac into 1/2 inch cubes. Peel and coarsely chop potato. Melt butter and cook leeks until wilted. Stir in celeriac and potato, then add 4 cups broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Pass through a sieve or puree. If very thick, thin with light cream and additional broth. Season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Thanks for the post on my blog. It seems as though you and I are on and the same as far as food, music, and cross country skiing go...does it have something to do with living so far north??? We tried searching for cloudberries this summer, (unsuccessfully) and they're soo expensive to buy, so I'm jealous of the jam you'll be making. Are you joining the jammin' exchange too?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails